Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ten steps to career success

I started a DB2 on Campus Tour in South America early in March 2011 and have visited 16 universities in Colombia and Brazil with a total attendance of more than 1200 people!.  Today I'm heading to Buenos Aires, Argentina, and later on to Peru.  At the end of my technical presentations, I talk about career-related topics. Due to time, I only encourage students to "differentiate themselves" as I mentioned in my previous post, however, in the past I would talk about the "ten steps to career success".  In my opinion, these steps are:

Step 1: Set goals and establish a career plan
Step 2: Have the right attitude
Step 3: Find a niche
Step 4: Get other skills beside technical skills
Step 5: Find a mentor
Step 6: Network
Step 7: Be visible (in the good way)
Step 8: Be a smart professional and a team player
Step 9: Persevere
Step 10: Take action

I will cover each of them in more detail in future posts.  I need to go to the airport now!

Cheers, Raul.

No comments:

Post a Comment